How to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
How to write letters, essays, reports, reviews, articles.
1. INFORMAL LETTERS
2. INFORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, (Comma & Hey!) 2. START A LETTER Thank for the letter that is previous apologize for not writing before, a couple of questions about family or friends. (1 short paragraph) — Informal letters to strangers: Reason why you are writing — 3. BODY Answer the data which you have now been told, express your interest to understand more info on that which was mentioned before. Make positive comments, respond 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER with some questions so that the receiver feels, motivated to reply. Give news, be emotional, plan a date, leave contact details (1 short pragraph ) 5. CLOSING LINE (1 line 10 – 15 words) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (1 or 2 words) You might use contractions or phrasal verbs ?
3. INFORMAL LETTER 1. Dear Martin, 2. TO START OUT A LETTER • Thank you for your letter. It was great to listen to away from you. How’s your new baby? • thank you for your letter and sorry for not replying sooner. • Sorry I haven’t written for such a long time. I’ve been really busy lately. So you bought a house that is new! How can it be?
4. 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE • Love, • Lots of love, • Cheers! Take it simple! • Best wishes, • all of the best, Marking Code: Capitalization, Organisation, Punctuation, Register/Formality, Sentence Structure, Spelling, Wrong form, Word order, Wrong tense, Wrong word, Word(s) missing, Omit word. INFORMAL LETTER 5. TO FINISH A LETTER • Give my love to… • Ok, i have surely got to go now, so see you soon! • That’s about all. Do write soon and let me know what you’ve been doing. • I look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you ahead of time for the help.
5. “Task letter”
6. 1. Hello Simon, 2. I’m glad you’re interested in my country. As your friend said, I’d like us to email each other to assist me enhance your English. 3. i’d like to start by telling you a little about myself and my children. My name’s Ivo and I also live in Kutna Hora, that will be about 45 minutes from Prague by car. I used to exert effort for a company that is medical now I am understanding how to be a salesperson. Later on I want a job where i will travel for my work. I have recently been to a couple places in Europe but I’ve never been to an English-speaking country. I live at home with my parents, which can be convenient, as I don’t need to do housework that is much my meals are cooked for me personally. My younger brother is studying at university. Although he could be four years younger than me, we can get on quite well. We both enjoy music and snowboarding. 4. What about you? Maybe you have been to the Czech Republic? It might be great if you could come over one day therefore we could fix a meeting up. Why don’t you let me know your plans? 5. Anyway, i need to go and acquire on with might work! Looking forward to hearing from you soon. 6. Best wishes, 7. Siore (180-190 words)
7. FORMAL LETTERS
8. FORMAL LETTER IN 7 STEPS 1. SALUTATION, To strangers: To whom it could concern, 2. START A LETTER State the good reason why you might be writing. (1 paragraph that is short 3. BODY Answer the info that you have now been told. Give facts about the presssing issue you might be currently talking about. Respond the job references 1 by 1 & use imagination. (2 paragraphs) 4. END YOUR LETTER by expressing what do you want to get as a result or answer. (Offer solutions, ask for something in exchange). Leave contact details (1 short pragraph ) 5. CLOSING LINE (look forward to ______ing ….) 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE (2 words) may very well not use contractions NOR phrasal verbs ?
9. FORMAL LETTER ORGANISING THE given information firstly Secondly In addition Lastly / last but most certainly not least 5. TO END A LETTER I am looking forward to hearing away from you soon. Don’t use contractions. Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr. / Mrs. Smith Yours faithfully Yours sincerely 6. COMPLIMENTARY CLOSE yours sincerely, yours faithfully,
10. 1. Dear Mr. Smith, 2. I am writing to try to get the position of . that we saw advertised in “The Guardian” newspaper. 3. I am 23 years old as well as the moment I am studying … at …. .Having studied English for more than seven years i will be a speaker that is fluent of language. My qualifications also include Proficiency certificates in both French and German. So far as experience can be involved, I have worked as . for . In terms of my personality, people let me know I am . 4. I feel I would personally be suited to this job because I. . This may give me the chance to ….. . I would also such as the chance to. 5. I look forward to hearing yours sincerely, 7. Siorella Gonzales away from you. 6
11. FCE ESSAY BEFORE YOU START think about a solution to the Essay question! Plan your essay. (Brainstorm for 5-10 minutes) Manage your time. (Aprox. 40 minutes) WHENEVER YOU FINISH make certain you have expressed yourself clearly. Look at your writing for grammar & spelling mistakes. TIPS NO contractions, colloquial expressions or ‘chatty’ style. Use complex grammar structures and sophisticated vocabulary Use conditional sentences and all sorts of PRESENT,PAST paper writing service, FUTURE tenses. Give your OPINION IN THE END, NOT at the beginning.
12. The introduction should: • Start general and go til specific • be 3 to 4 sentences long. • have a sentence or 2 concerning the topic generally speaking. • have a sentence telling the reader if the essay will once look at or both sides for the issue. • have a question/idea that you will answer in your essay. (Paragraph 4) the final outcome should: • Start with :: In closing” ,“In the end”, “To sum up” etc… • be 2 to 3 sentences long. • Include a directory of your main points. • have a reference towards the original question (try to rephrase it). • have your opinion: “I believe…” I think” “I reckon” • haven’t any new information.
13. STRUCTURING YOUR ESSAY Mathematics! • Most people come up with 10-12 words per line. • you must write an overall total of 190 words, therefore you should write about 18 lines as a whole. INTRODUCTION: (general thought) 3 lines (30-40 words) Paragraph 1/ Idea 1 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 2 / Idea 2 4 lines (40 words) Paragraph 3 / Idea 3 4 lines (40 words) In CONCLUSION, 3 lines (30-40 words)
14. OUTLINE I. INTRODUCTION II. CONTRAST OF ARGUMENTS A. ADVANTAGES B. DISADVANTAGES (PROS AND CONS). C. GIVING OPINIONS OR SUGGESTIONS ABOUT THE TITLE. III. CONCLUSION
15. MEETING THE MARK
16. TASK 3: a. Write the draft that is first of essay in a piece of paper. (10 min) b. Look at your partner’s draft that is first.
17. ESSAY LINKS http://teacher.sch olastic.com/activiti es/writing/persuas iveflash/transition alwords.htm http://www.flo- joe.co.uk/fce/stud ents/writing/linkin g/ Example question In class you have been technology that is discussing. Now, your English teacher has asked one to write an essay. Write an essay using most of the notes and provide good reasons for your point of view. You need to write your answer in 140-190 words in an style that is appropriate. Nowadays, technology is everywhere. Has technology made people’s lives better or worse? Notes talk about: 1.medical science 2.the internet 3.your idea that is own